Why is cashflow so central to good financial management? Here’s our plain english guide.
What is cashflow?
Cashflow refers to the movement of money into and out of your business over a specific period.
In the most basic terms, cashflow is the process of cash moving out of the business (cash outflows), and cash coming into the business (cash inflows). The ideal scenario is to be in a ‘positive cashflow position’. This means that your inflows outweigh your outflows – i.e. that more cash is coming into the business than is going out.
When you’re cashflow positive, the main benefit is that you have the liquid cash available to fund your daily operations and debt payments etc.
On the flip side, if you’re in a negative cashflow position, this can be a red flag that the business is facing some financial challenges – and that some serious cost-cutting and/or revenue generation is needed.
How does cashflow affect your business?
Not having enough liquid cash is one of the biggest reasons for companies failing. So it’s absolutely vital that you keep on top of your company’s cashflow position.
Five key cashflow areas to focus on will include:
- Monitoring your cash inflows and outflows – this means regularly tracking your cash inflows from sales, loans and investments, as well as managing your cash outflows from expenses, purchases and debt repayments.
- Managing your account receivables and payables – efficiently managing your customer receipts and supplier payments helps smooth out your inflows and outflows – and delivers stable cashflow that’s easier to predict and manage.
- Getting proactive with your budgeting and forecasting – creating realistic cashflow budgets and forecasts helps you predict your future cash position. By anticipating your future cash needs, you can actively plan for potential shortfalls or surpluses.
- Being in control of your stock inventory – having excess stock in your warehouse ties up cash. So, it’s a good idea to optimise your inventory levels and to only manufacture/order the items you need on a day-to-day basis.
- Investing in your cash reserves – with emergency cash reserves in the bank, you know you have the funds to handle unforeseen cashflow issues or sustain your operations during lean periods. This makes your whole cashflow position more stable.
How can our firm help you with cashflow management? Did you know that we are a Certified Profit First Professional Firm of Accountants?
The Profit First Difference
Introducing Profit First—a revolutionary approach that’s designed to bring your family business out of the red and into the green. Imagine a scenario where your hard work results in tangible profits, not just breaking even. Profit First isn’t just about numbers; it’s about reclaiming your time, your dreams, and your peace of mind.
Solving the Puzzle
Are you tired of the financial puzzle that keeps you up at night? Profit First has the power to solve it. By gaining a clear picture of where your money goes, we’ll help you identify opportunities to save, streamline, and invest wisely. No more working just to pay bills; your business will start working for you.
A Community of Success
Join a community of family businesses that have escaped the cycle of overwork and underpay. CJA Accountants has empowered businesses just like yours with Profit First, leading to financial freedom and a renewed sense of purpose. Your success story is waiting, and we’re committed to helping you write it.
Let’s Rewrite Your Story
Are you ready to rewrite the narrative of your family business? Let’s talk. Schedule a consultation today to discuss how our tailored approach, combined with Profit First principles, can bring about a transformation that goes beyond spreadsheets and budgets. Your financial liberation starts now.
Profit First is a simple yet powerful system that can transform your small business finances. By prioritising profit, adjusting expense management, and staying on top of cash flow, you can achieve increased profitability, improved financial stability, and reduced stress. Don’t wait any longer! Take control of your finances with Profit First and pave the way for a successful future for your business.
If you have any questions about Profit First, how it can benefit your business, or if you’re ready to take the next steps towards implementing this transformative methodology, please feel free to reach out. We are here to support you every step of the way. email@example.com
Thank you for being a part of our journey, and we are excited to embark on this new chapter with you! To book a 15 minute free Profit First Consultation please click here
Disclaimer: This post Plain English guide to cashflow contains links to products I believe to be useful to the reader, from which I may earn a small commission, but won’t cost you any extra.